Symmetra Patterning and the Creation of the Trimmetra

So my plan for Symmetra things was actually really simple: it involved a custom made knit pattern block, a premade pattern for thigh high stockings, and a premade pattern for an opera glove. Together with some clever drawing and my brand new duct tape dress form, Symmetra was created! (or rather, will be created, as I’ve still got to pattern the sleeves because I hate sleeves with a passion).

Like I detailed in my blog post, I turned my knit bodice block into a princess seamed one. Basically I just drew an arbitrary line down the center of each front half of the block, and then patterned in a greater reduction from shoulder to bust to waist and a greater increase from waist to hip. This helps the bodice lie more form fittingly against my body, while also decreasing the excess fabric from my breast to the armhole, which was causing a bulging flap thing. So I fixed it XD

img_6525

Once I completed that and was happy with how the bodice fit on my body, I threw it onto my dress form and drew out the lines to section off the black and blue parts on Symmetra’s dress top. After that, I cut up the mockup, traced it onto pattern paper, and correctly dew out the separately colored sections as separate patterns.

Also, I drafted the flaps onto the center front and back pieces directly using the following measurements: my hips to mid-calf for the length of the flaps, and my shoulder width for the width of the buttflap.

img_6534

The next task was the creation of my trim (though I probably should have made my final mockup with the flaps first, but I really wanted to make the trim so oops).

Basically, I did a lot of vague math (most of which involved looking at ratios between Symmetra and her dress to calculate the exact size of each piece of gold trim. And then, once I had the full pattern, I decided to be a crazy person and cut all the trim in one piece (sobs). It worked though and the trim is fabulous! I also officially started calling it Trimmetra. So funny. Please laugh. I hope you did.

img_6539

Then, since Symmetra’s dress is rude, I had to cut a mirror copy of the trim for the inside of Symmetra’s dress. I unfortunately noticed that the gold trim is still existent on the inner flaps of the dress, so while sobbing into the little gold fabric I had left, I cut the trim out in pieces with allowance to sew it in (since it won’t be as visible as the front, I didn’t mind doing the trim piecemeal style.

img_6542

The next step was topstitching the half-inch allowance from sewing the trim together to the inside layer – similar to what you do to waistbands. This basically keeps the inside of the trim from rolling to the outside after pressing it and better hides the seam between the trims.

Even though the trim is gold with a hint of bronze, I was thrilled to discover that the gold thread I have blends in perfectly as topstitching. I have used clear thread to topstitch once in my life (for the lightning bolt on Ms. Marvel’s top) and it was a nightmare and a half.

My main take away from the Trimmetra progress though? Praise my sewing machine and my walking foot. I would have been so angry without it. 10/10 invest in one if you’re going to be sewing stretchy/sticky/annoying fabric with a regular sewing machine. Pleather is ten times more tolerable now thanks to this!

Thanks for reading, and please leave me a comment if you enjoyed this post, or if you didn’t!

Advertisements

2 Comments Add yours

  1. Sarah Van Tassel says:

    Hi! I’m actually making a totally different symmetra costume (Goddess) That still features that pesky gold fabric. I was wondering if you might be able to elaborate a little bit more on how you went about affixing your gold (I’m assuming PVC fabric?) to the stretch of the rest of your dress? Did you heat fuse and then topstitch? I apologize, I know you mentioned the seam allowance you created for the gold sections, but I wasn’t entirely clear on your process.

    Regardless, your work looks *amazing*. While I have my own set of challenges to face with the Goddess skin, I am not envious of the level of precision required to pattern out that dress!

    Like

    1. nekonamiblog says:

      I actually haven’t done that yet but I’ll be writing about it soon 🙂 I’ll have more pictures of attaching the trim in my next post about this costume (which will probably be up this weekend). The fabric I’m using is actually gold vinyl from onlinefabricshop.net. Just for reference, what I plan on doing is to use a small amount of of heat n bond to fuse the trim to the top and underside of the flaps and then topstitch with the front facing up. I have cut the bottom layer of the trim to be slightly bigger than the top so any stitches that catch the top should also catch the bottom. Fingers crossed that it works and I don’t have to hand stitch things! ^_^ This portion of the dress will have a little bit of stretch but not as much as the rest (which is a stretch neoprene fabric). This should work okay since this part isn’t going to be key to getting it on and off. Personally though, I think for the Goddess skin you’d be better off using a woven fabric for extra stability and a zipper (though I’m just guessing at your plan since you mentioned stretch fabric haha). Good luck with your Goddess Symmetra cosplay! I hope you can send me pics of your progress and the completed cos, and that we can take twin pics at a future con! 🙂

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s